Saturday, April 18, 2015

Leftover Chicken




In my house, no one likes the chicken breast from a rotisserie chicken, not to mention leftovers. Last weekend we attended a Chinese banquet dinner and brought home some chicken. It would've been such a waste if I just threw it away. So I decided to give it a twist and turn it into something that everyone likes.

The kids like my chicken with special sauce and that’s because the chicken was not overly cooked and was served at room temperature, which increased the tenderness of the chicken breast. So I decided to shred the leftover chicken, mix it with a sauce and serve it at room temperature as well. I remember I once had an appetizer from a party which was some shredded seafood mixed with a sweet and spicy sauce (a store bought sauce also called “chicken sauce”).  I didn’t have that sauce handy, but I tried to imitate the flavor with what was available at home. So here is the Leftover Chicken from my kitchen:
 
Ingredients
2 parts of shredded chicken meat and skin, deboned
2 parts of cucumber, seeded and thinly sliced
 
For the sauce:
2 tbs of marmalade
a dash of Frank's Hot Sauce or Tabasco
1 tps. of hot water
Mix all the sauce ingredients together until the marmalade is completely dissolved

How 
  1. It is easier to handle the chicken when it is cold and I also like to keep the skin for added flavor. First remove all the bones then thinly slice the meat and skin. Set the meat aside.
  2. Handle the cucumber the same way as I did in this dish. Thinly slice the cucumber and mix it with salt. Let it sit for at least 15 minutes then rinse it with cold drinking water. Squeeze out the excess water.
  3. In a big bowl, gently mix together the chicken, cucumber and sauce. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top right before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment