Sunday, September 27, 2015

Homemade Chili Sauce (and XO Sauce)


I avoided having spicy foods until I was around 20, and I felt like I missed out a lot. Sometimes I believe it was just in my mind that I couldn't handle spicy foods. 


So I introduced all sorts of spicy foods to my kids since they were small. Started off mild, then gave them more when they requested. Now my 8 year old son likes kimchi, spicy Italian sausages and curry. He loves adding chili sauce to Asian dishes. But I find that the store bought chili sauces are way too oily and salty. So, here is the chili sauce from my own kitchen:

Ingredients
The portions listed below are for reference only. I never stick to the same portions. The contents of my chili sauce mainly depend on what I have in my fridge and my kids' preference.
1 part Garlic
1 part Chili
1 part Green onion
1/2 part Fried shallots
1/2 part Dry fish flakes
3 parts Grape seeds oil 
(Yield 2-3 cups)

I used fresh Cayenne Peppers this time for a milder sauce. Add as little oil as possible but it has to be just enough to cover up all the ingredients at the beginning of cooking process.

How
  1. In a big stainless steel pan, heat up the oil on low. Then start cutting the fresh ingredients.
  2. In order; dice the garlic, chili, and green onion. Pour diced ingredients into the pan and stir well along the way. I prefer to hand cut my ingredients as I find using a food processor makes everything too fine.
  3. After all the fresh ingredients are added into the oil, stir constantly and cook everything on medium to medium low heat for 5 minutes. 
  4. Add fried shallots and dried fish flakes. Stir well and heat it through, for about 1 minute. Remove from heat and it let cool down to room temperature.
  5. Store in a clean air tight glass containers. It can be kept in the fridge for up to 3 months.
To make XO Sauce, use the following ingredients:
1/4 part Garlic
1 part Chili
1 part Green onion
1/2 part Fried shallots
1 part Dry small shrimps(蝦皮)
1 part Dry scallops
3 parts Grape seeds oil 
Dry small shrimps(蝦皮)& dry scallops

  1. To prepare the dry scallops, first rinse them then soak them in cold water overnight. The soaking water should be just enough to cover the scallops. Put a lid on while soaking to trap the good fragrant. After soaking, drain off the water (keep the flavorful water for another dish). On a chopping board, separate the scallops using the side of your knife and chop it up a bit. 
  2. For the dry small shrimps, no soaking and washing is necessary.
  3. Add the ingredients into the hot oil in this order: garlic, chili, green onion, dry scallops. Cook on medium to low heat for 5 minutes, then add small dried shrimps and cook for another 2 minutes. 
  4. Add the remaining ingredients, mix well and heat them through, about 1 minute.
I always use whatever ingredients I can find in my fridge and pantry. Just remember:
  • Always cook on low heat. If there are too many bubbles and sizzling in the hot oil, turn down the heat, or you will end up frying the ingredients and turn them brittle.
  • Cut high water content ingredients into smaller pieces. 
  • Always cook the ingredients with highest water contents first and add the dry ingredients at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment