Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenterloin

This petite roast may look fancy, but it is super easy to make. The cooking time varies for every oven so I always cook my roasts based on a set temperature rather than roasting time.
To make sure you cook your roast to perfection, you may want to invest in a food thermometer. I bought a cheap one from Ikea and it has been working wonderfully for all of my roast dishes.

My little one wasn't too fond of the herbs in my roast. If you have to serve picky eaters, you may want to skip the herbs, or replace it with some fruit jam.

Here is the Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin from my kitchen:

Ingredients 
1 pork tenderloin, about 1 1/2 lb.
1 tsp. of Herbs de Provence
1 tsp. of sea salt
Some ground black pepper
10 -12 slices of bacon
1 toothpick

How

  1. Preheat the oven to 425F.
  2. Pat dry the tenderloin then remove the tendons using a sharp knife.
  3. Mix the herbs, salt, and pepper together in a small bowl. Sprinkle them all over the tenderloin and roll the tenderloin around to pat the seasoning in. 
  4. Start from one side of the tenderloin, wrap one bacon strip around. Use the second strip to overlap the end of the first bacon strip to hold things in place. Continue until the tenderloin is completely wrapped up.
  5. Use a toothpick to pin down the end of the last strip of bacon.
  6. Sear all sides of the tenderloin in a hot pan, about one minute on each side.
  7. Bake the tenderloin in the oven until the inside temperature reaches 158F*. For my oven, it took 35 minutes.
  8. Remove the tenderloin from the oven and  place it on a room temperature plate or chopping board. DO NOT remove the thermometer or the juice will start running out. Cover the tenderloin tight with tin foil and let it rest for 15 minutes.
  9. Remove the toothpick. Slice and serve immediately.

*The goal temperature is 165F for medium done, but you have to set the thermometer to a lower setting or the roast will be overly cooked, as the inside temperature will continue to rise during the resting period. Experiment with your oven to determine the best offset temperature. I know that when I roast a 5 lb+ tenderloin using my big oven, I need to set the temperature 15F lower than the goal temperature. For my counter top oven, the offset temperature is 8F to 5F.





No comments:

Post a Comment