Sunday, February 8, 2015

Fish Sauce Chicken Wings

I first learned this dish from an old cook book given to me by my aunt, but later that cook book was lost and I tried to redevelop the recipe based on my memory.
This dish appears quite often on our dinner table. I usually prepare it during the weekends and keep it in the fridge for a quick dinner on weekdays. Remember to buy the "Three Crab" fish sauce only as they taste just right. My kids like to eat this dish warm, but I prefer to eat it cold right out of the fridge. The jelly in between the skin and meat is delicious! 

Here is the Fish Sauce Chicken Wings from my kitchen:

Ingredients
1 lb. split chicken wings (from my three whole chickens)
1/2 cup fish sauce
1 cup water
1 tbs. Zaoxing Cooking Wine
2 tbs. sugar (can be granulated, palm, or brown)
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 sliced ginger

How

  1. Cook ginger and garlic with 1 tsp. of oil in a pot until fragrant. 
  2. Add all the liquid and sugar into the pot. Bring it to a boil. Taste and add more sugar or fish sauce if necessary.
  3. When the sugar is dissolved and the liquid is boiling, add chicken wings and mix well.
  4. Just when it is about to boil, immediately turn the heat to low. Simmer with lid on for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Leave the lid on and let it steam for another 15 minutes.
  5. Drain the liquid and discard. Serve chicken wings hot or keep them in the fridge for serving later.
Never poach chicken in boiling liquid. Simmering results in tender juicy chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment