Saturday, January 31, 2015

Cucumber and Prune Yogurt Salad

Sounds weird right? But it tasted quite good and my younger son had several servings.

Well, I had three cucumbers left in the fridge on a Friday night plus a big tub of plain yogurt bought for Coco that he would never finish. Cucumbers and yogurt reminded me of Indian foods - I am currently reading The Hundred Food Journey. So I searched on the internet and found a cucumber salad recipe: cucumbers, yogurt, garlic, mint, and...raisins!?
I didn't have raisins and mint at home; my kids don't like mint so I might as well skip it, but I really wanted something sweet to replace the raisins. That's when I thought of the big bag of prunes my husband brought home from Costco a while ago. So here it is, the Cucumber and Prune Yogurt Salad from my kitchen:

Ingredients
3 cucumbers, seeded and thinly sliced
1 cup of plain yogurt
5 prunes, diced
1/2 clove of garlic, minced
Salt
Missing the garlic from the picture
How

  1. Put 2 tsp. of salt into the thinly sliced cucumbers. Mix well and let them sit for at least 20 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, dice the prunes and mince the garlic. Add them to the yogurt and mix well.
  3. After at least 20 minutes, rinse the cucumbers with water. Use your hands to squeeze out as much juice from the cucumbers as possible. Drain well.
  4. Gently mix everything together and add salt to taste. Serve immediately.

Note: 

  • Using salt to drain the juice out of the cucumbers will make the salad less watery and add flavor to the cucumbers.
  • Some cucumber and yogurt salad recipes call for refrigeration after everything are mixed together, but I prefer not to make this salad ahead as the cucumbers get "sweaty" very quickly.





No comments:

Post a Comment